Sunday, May 15, 2011

It Could Always Be Worse


I remember being 16 years old and thinking it was the end of the world because my mom wouldn’t buy me those new shoes I wanted or if the boy I had a crush on liked someone else.   Every time I threw a fit my mom would tell me that life wasn’t easy and that it was only going to get harder.  Now I’m 31 years old with a chronic illness, no insurance, no money and going through a divorce.  I could cry scream and throw a fit, but because of how my mom raised me I know that things could be worse and if I don’t watch myself they will get worse.

Times are hard, but there are so many people who are much worse off than me so I’m going to do my best to suck it up and drive on.  I have a chronic illness, but I don’t have a terminal illness.  I don’t have insurance, but I have resources I can still utilize.  I have no money, but I have love and support.  I’m going through a divorce, but at least it’s not a nasty one and I’m so much happier without him. 

Everything happens for a reason and we go through what we go through so that we can be who we are meant to be.  Not everything makes sense when it happens, but when you start paying attention to the bigger picture everything falls into place just as it should.  I used to ask all the time why I had to be sick.  Why not me?  If I focus on every aspect of my illness and what it does to me then it feels like a curse, but if I focus on my entire life as a whole then I’m able to see how my illness has molded me into the person I’m supposed to be.  I wouldn’t be as strong or compassionate as I am if I wasn’t sick.  I love who I am as a person and I wouldn’t change it if I could.  I don’t like being sick, but there are worse things so I’m just going to continue to live my life the best way I know how.

I hope everyone is having an awesome day.  Don’t forget to be brilliant!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews