Sunday, December 26, 2010

The Stress of Christmas

I’ve had a wonderful Christmas and it’s not over yet for my family.  We’re getting together with my sister today and then my brother and his family on New Year’s Eve.  Everyone and their busy schedules makes it difficult for us to all get together at the same time, but at least we manage to at some point spend the holidays with all of the family.

Every year Christmas becomes more about work and stress rather than the reason we celebrate in the first place.  We all forget to relax and enjoy the real meaning of Christmas.  The cooking, cleaning, shopping and other preparations tend to make us dread the holidays rather than truly celebrate.  We look forward to it being over instead of wishing it would never end like we should.

It’s human nature I guess.  Even though it was a bit stressful cooking and over-exerting myself as I always do when it came down to opening presents with the family I felt like a little kid again.  It was such an awesome feeling and something that I needed more than anything with everything that has been going on. I had no worries and no stress for at least an hour.  Most of all even though most of my gifts were centered around the Fibro, for that hour I didn’t feel sick. I felt normal.  I felt happy.

I’m severely paying for all that now.  The pain is excruciating, but the handy dandy neck and shoulder massager my mom got me for Christmas really helps. I know that this is just another flare that I have to fight my way through.  Even though I want to give up, I know I can’t.  My goal for the New Year is to prove that I’m more than just a sick chick. I’m always going to have Fibromyalgia, but I’ll be damned if it’s ever going to have me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews