Thursday, June 17, 2010

Fibromyalgia and Stress


I think that in a perfect world a person with Fibromyalgia could control their symptoms  with ease.  I believe that stress is the biggest trigger of Fibromyalgia symptoms and if it wasn’t for stress I would have a lot more days with minimal pain.

Unfortunately as an adult you have to deal with a lot of shit.  (I do apologize for my unwillingness to censor my words today.)  There is always something that wants to wreak havoc on your life.  To all those who act like their lives are 100% perfect-who are you trying to fool?  Why do you try to make your life sound like a fairy tale when you know it’s a soap opera just like everyone else’s.  

We all are faced with stress and if you don’t have Fibromyalgia you can usually make it through a stressful situation without too many battle scars.  For those of us with Fibromyalgia it’s a little different.  Okay so maybe it’s a lot different.  Our bodies cannot handle physical or emotional stress…at all.  So basically those of us with Fibro have some really screwed up wiring. 

I got a little over ambitious one day and exercised a little more than I should have and actually started running a fever.  Not to mention there was a substantial increase in pain and all the other wonderful Fibro symptoms for about 2 days afterwards.  I’m not saying we shouldn’t exercise either.  Although I hate that word I will admit that’s it’s the best thing we can do to control this beast.  It’s just important not to overdo it. Yoga and Pilates are awesome and they definitely help with emotional stress.

As far as emotional stress goes I’ve dealt with the effects of that a million times.  I get to the point where I just shut down.  The bills are late, everyone needs me to do this and that, I’m in a flare again, the house is a mess and I don’t have the energy to do anything about it, and the list goes on and on.  It piles on until I can’t function anymore.  Sometimes it gets to the point where I just go to bed.  I love it when people tell me that I need to learn how to handle stressful situations better.  If my body wasn’t all jacked up then maybe I could. 

We’re never going to live in a perfect world without stress and all those other things that drive us crazy so it’s all about getting use to it and learning to deal with it in the best way we know how.  We all deal differently.  Some days I’m so tempted to run down the street naked and screaming, but I don’t think that would be good for anyone. 

Stress sucks, but if we didn’t have it how would we occupy our days?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews